Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 8 - Matthew 19-20

Chapter 19 opens with a wonderful display of the patience of Jesus. Here He is ministering to people by healing them and the Pharisees barge in with their question about divorce. Instead of becoming angry with them, He uses this as a teaching opportunity. He lays out the case for the durability of marriage. Why is it that people always ask the wrong question? They ask when is it "OK" to get a divorce when they should be asking what they should do to keep their marriage from dissolving. I read a quote recently by an author stating that since the husband and wife union is pictured using the head and body metaphor (Eph. 5:23), then any separating is not a mere dissolution of a corporation or a break up of a relationship, but rather it is a gruesome decapitation. O, that we as Christians would have this view of the marriage union!

As I write this blog post, my wife and I find ourselves in the midst of searching for a home to purchase in the So Cal area. It is times like these that we wish that we had a bit more money so that our options wouldn't be so narrow. However, it is verses like these (19:16-30) that remind me of some of the blessings of not being "rich," at least in this culture's estimation. What a blessing it is to have everything we truly need in Christ!

Chapter 20 reminds us of the righteous rewards that come from the Father and warns us against questioning His "fairness." Which reminds me, we really don't want what is fair, do we? May we never ask God to give us what we "deserve." I know I don't want God to be fair with me and give me what I deserve! I want grace! I want mercy and loving kindness!

Pride is a dangerous thing, isn't it? It is also a divisive thing as demonstrated in 20:20-24. What business do we have jockeying for position in the Kingdom when we should be busy serving? When will we "get it" that the way up in the Kingdom is down? Let us follow the example of our Savior and humble ourselves and in love serve one another! This example is what follows (vs29-33) as Jesus has compassion on the social outcasts. He could have simply said the words, "Let your eyes be opened!", but instead He went near them and touched these filthy wretches. Let us do the same. Let us go to those that others shun and get dirty and serve them in the love of the Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment