Monday, September 28, 2009

Day 22 - Luke 7-8

Jesus' compassion shines through in the account of His raising the son of the widow at Nain. Being a widow, this woman would have had no one else to take care her but her son. There was no Medicare in those days. After her current monies ran out, she would have had to resort to begging. This woman didn't ask Jesus for anything. He simply saw her need, was moved with compassion and showed mercy to the woman by raising her son from the dead. The result was that the people glorified God!

Jesus was a friend of sinners (7:34). That means I qualify! I meet the qualifications to have Jesus as my friend! It's not just that I am a sinner, but that I readily admit it! And as a sinner, I acknowledge my desperate need of a friend like Jesus! "Jesus! what a Friend for sinners! Jesus! Lover of my soul; Friends may fail me, foes assail me, He, my Savior, makes me whole." (J. Wilbur Chapman). In light of this, I love the parable that Jesus tells at the end of chapter 7. He who has been forgiven much, loves much!

No comments:

Post a Comment