Sunday, September 20, 2009

Day 14 - Mark 4-6

Chapter 4 contains several "Kingdom" parables. One that was not recorded in Matthew (or Luke or John for that matter) is the parable of the growing seed (vs26-29). It reminds me of what I'm to be doing as a preacher of the Word of God. I just plant. I plant by preaching the truths of God's Word. If any "fruit" comes from the seed that I plant, it is because God caused it to take root, grow and then produce fruit. It is also a good reminder to me that it often takes time before that which is planted bears fruit. A much needed reminder to me for patience in the ministry of the Word!

In chapter 5, the account of the demon-possessed man is recounted. Once again, it is instructive for us to note that this powerful demon, Legion, could not do anything without the permission of Jesus. Also, the result of the spiritual cleansing of this man is that he went out telling others about what Jesus had done for him. This is the pattern that we should be pursuing in our own lives as well.

As I was reading the account of the resurrection of Jairus' daughter, one statement of Jesus leaped out at me - "Do not fear, only believe." What struck me was this - the opposite of fear is faith. It is impossible to be afraid and have a robust faith in God at the same time. Fear and faith are mutually exclusive. Therefore, when I'm struggling with fear, what I'm really struggling with is a lack of faith in my all-powerful, all-sovereign and all-good God!

Just one comment from chapter 6. When Jesus commissioned His disciples to go and do the work of His ministry, the content of their message was the same as the preaching of John the Baptist (1:4) and the preaching of Jesus (1:14). It was a call to repentance (6:12). Why is it that so many "preachers" today have a hard time with that content? Why do they shy away from confronting people with their sin? Isn't sin the reason for repentance? What do today's "preachers" think? Are they smarter than John the Baptist? Than Jesus' disciples? Than Jesus Himself? I, for one, am going to stick with the wisdom of Jesus and call people to repentance from sin and faith in Jesus Christ!

3 comments:

  1. About Ch 4 Sowing the seed of the gospel. "A Christian I met in home group said his job was raking litter off the the Avon River. It was dull, boring work and he often wondered what life was all about. One day he raked a soggy piece of papper off the water and decided it was interesting enough to keep, so he carefully placed it in his bag and took it home. That evening he dried the paper in front of a heater and carefully unfolded it, then he read it... it was a gospel tract. He became a Christian that evening." Richard Gunther

    ReplyDelete
  2. CH 4 The key to the parables. The parable of the sower is key to unlocking the mysteries of all the other parables. If understand this parable (that when the gospel is preached there are true and false conversions), then all the parables Jesus told will make sense: the foolish virgins(false) and the wise virgins (genuine), the good and bad fish, the wheat and tares,etc.From the Evidence Bible

    http://www.livingwaters.com/index.php?option=com_multidoc&vid=4&Itemid=241#

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those thoughts, Jeff. I remember hearing the correct interpretation of the parable of the sower when I was in high school. At first, I doubted what was being explained, but the more I read the passage, the more I understood that it is teaching the difference between the "professor" of faith in Christ and true regeneration!

    ReplyDelete