Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 3 - Matthew 8-9

Here are a few big ideas that jumped out at me as well as a couple of questions.

The Power of Jesus. Over physical maladies - leprosy, paralyzation (twice!), fever, discharge of blood, death, blindness and other unnamed sicknesses. Over nature - calming the storm. Over spiritual needs - casting out demons on two separate occasions and forgiving the sins of the paralytic.

The Negative Reactions to Jesus of Some. The people asking Jesus to leave their region, the scribes who thought Jesus was blaspheming by saying He could forgive sins, the Pharisees complaining about Jesus' eating with sinners, the questioning of the Pharisees about why Jesus' disciples did not fast, the people scoffing at Jesus when He said that the young girl was only sleeping and the Pharisees charge that Jesus was casting out demons by the prince of demons.

The Faith of Others. The leper's faith is not specifically mentioned, yet why would they have come to Jesus if they didn't believe that He could help them?! The Centurion's incredible faith that all Jesus had to do was speak a word and his servant would be healed. The faith of the people carrying the paralytic. The faith of Matthew is demonstrated in that he left his tax booth and followed Jesus. The amazing faith of the woman with a discharge of blood in that she thought all she had to do was just get close to Jesus and there would be healing. The blind men were healed because of their faith.

A Favorite Verse. 8:11 is a favorite verse of mine because I see myself in the verse. I am not a physical child of Abraham and Isaac, but because I have put my faith in Jesus Christ as my Savior, I have a spot at the table in heaven! I love it when I can see myself specifically mentioned in the Scriptures!

A Couple of Questions. Why did the people ask Jesus to leave their region after casting out the demon? Why did Jesus tell the blind men that He healed not to tell others about what He did for them?

I'll close this post by obeying Jesus, and pray that the Lord of the harvest would send laborers into His harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment