Saturday, November 7, 2009

Day 62 - 1Corinthians 13-14

The "love chapter" in 1Corinthians is one of the best-known and best-loved chapters in this entire book, and perhaps, to some, the entire Bible. To me this chapter is a mirror into which I can look and see from God's perspective how unloving I really am and how I need to grow in so many areas! The list that describes what true biblical "love" is serves as a powerful reminder of how desperately we need the grace of God to love in His way. If the Law served as our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, then this chapter serves us as our schoolmaster to bring us to the grace of God. Right off the bat, Paul tells us that love is patient. If there is one area that I struggle in, it is in this very area. I must have the grace of God to help we demonstrate my love for others by my patience with them. The list then continues with many other qualities that are a true demonstration of love. The second greatest commandment, according to Jesus Christ Himself, is to love your neighbor as yourself. This chapter offers a wonderful standard against which we can measure ourselves to see what areas we need more grace from God in order to love in His way.

Chapter 14 contains Paul's instruction regarding the speaking in tongues. My personal belief is that the gift of tongues was a temporary sign-gift that was given by the Spirit to validate the new revelation of the NT. Once the NT was complete, the purpose of the sign-gifts was no longer necessary. I know that there are plenty of people who disagree with me on this point, and I am OK with that. To those who disagree and say that tongues are still for today, I would ask this: "Can you show me anyone today who is exercising the gift of tongues in according to the instruction and limits that Paul gives in this chapter?" Paul's concerns here include intelligibility (vs9), edification (vs12,17,26), limited number (vs27), always interpretation (vs28), only men (vs34) and orderliness (vs40). In my limited exposure to the practice of speaking in tongues, I've never seen anyone engage in this activity in accordance with these principles. In fact, nearly all of these principles are completely disregarded by the modern day tongues movement. If that truly is the case, it makes one wonder if the modern tongues movement is truly from the God who inspired the writing of this chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment